I was thinking of ways to control 2 devices each with 3 bits or more input. Ideally this can be done with one inverter and 6 AND ports. Or a weird multiplexer. Of course it can be done with 2 74LS or similar, but I was wondering if a single chip that does this exists and what it is named.

Think of the digital equivalent of this ancient device below. Which leads me to the question: do such mixed gates IC exist? I know about the configurable ones, but they serve a different purpose.


ancient 9 line A/B switch

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Why would the multiplexer need to be "weird"? This can be done with one or more multiplexer ICs. Yes these exist. For example the HEF4053: assets.nexperia.com/documents/data-sheet/HEF4053B.pdf You would need a couple of these. \$\endgroup\$ – Bimpelrekkie Mar 4 at 20:10
  • \$\begingroup\$ Ah thanks, I need to clarify the question. Yes you can do it with 2 ICs (inverter + AND ports), I was wondering if a single IC exists. Looking at the one you linked. \$\endgroup\$ – Paperino Mar 4 at 20:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ Sorry, asking for recommendations of specific products is off-topic here. \$\endgroup\$ – Elliot Alderson Mar 4 at 20:59
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Also consider the ancient CMOS 4016 quad bilateral switch and it's many variants. \$\endgroup\$ – rdtsc Mar 4 at 22:00
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The 4066 is a useful alternative to the 4016 too. Otherwise look for 'analog switches' in the catalogs, they make them for many different purposes. \$\endgroup\$ – Lorenzo Marcantonio Mar 5 at 7:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.