My PC motherboard has header pins for a SPDIF output and I want to an optical SPDIF transmitter.

When I search any of the main electronic stores for optical SPDIF transmitter I dont get any good hits, I can find some if I search Toslink transmitter, but these are very expensive and all Toshiba branded. I assume there must be some generic optical SPDIF transmitters, but I dont know what to search for. Does anyone know?

  • \$\begingroup\$ the question is about the correct name for a part, nothing to do with shopping. \$\endgroup\$
    – Jay
    Apr 1, 2021 at 21:15
  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't have any trouble finding SPDIF "cards" for PCs. Maybe play with your search terms. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 1, 2021 at 21:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ FWIW Broadcom (aka Avago) also makes TOSLINK components. I don't know whether you'd consider them "very expensive" or not. \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Apr 1, 2021 at 22:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ @thephoton are they also labelled as TOSLINK? \$\endgroup\$
    – Jay
    Apr 1, 2021 at 22:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Jay, yes, they are. \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Apr 1, 2021 at 22:57

1 Answer 1


The Wikipedia entry for TOSLINK says that the ADAT Lightpipe and TOSLINK formats, though incompatible with each other, both use the JIS F05 connector.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.