What is this yellow component in my Samsung mains charger? On the top is written "DT0506C" and on the side is written "ETAOU81EBE BE 1218".

Similar looking components I've found were transformers. In my opinion it is way too far away from the rectifier and the mains connection. Its traces point me nearer to the USB port.

In the third picture is the bottom perspective with the component (yellow), mains connection (red), and probably rectifier (green).




  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ It is a transformer. \$\endgroup\$
    – user263983
    Apr 2, 2021 at 11:16

1 Answer 1


It's the transformer.

But in my opinion its way too far away from the rectifier and the mains connection

That's because it's a switching supply. Mains is rectified first, resulting in about 320V DC in the two blue CrapXon caps, then this is chopped into a square wave, fed into the transformer, and rectified in the other side. The frequency is much higher than 50Hz mains, which allows a much smaller transformer and secondary smoothing caps, and lower weight and cost.

Here's a bit more detail about how a flyback power supply works.

  • \$\begingroup\$ To be fair, I've seen lots of devices with capXon's that never had a problem when correctly designed. Its more about some penny pinching by using lower product range or not enough capacitors and exceeding their ratings. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 2, 2021 at 14:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.