I was wondering if anyone know how to properly create a multi unit symbol in Altium for a transistor?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes, I'm sure someone does. Are you also wondering how to actually do this, or is knowing that someone knows how enough for you? \$\endgroup\$
    – brhans
    Jun 28, 2021 at 20:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ ^^ Funny guy. $$$$ Whats the version you're using??? You do this in your own custom library. When you have your library open for editing, instead of hitting "TOOLS/NEW COMPONENT" try "TOOLS/NEW PART". That's how you introduce new parts (new 'multi unit symbols') in V17 and earlier. V18 and later would be similar but I can't tell you step by step \$\endgroup\$
    – Kyle B
    Jun 28, 2021 at 21:04
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ You draw it up in the schematic symbol editor... \$\endgroup\$
    – Voltage Spike
    Jun 28, 2021 at 23:35

1 Answer 1


In Altium-speak, this is called a Multi-Part Component. It can be homogeneous (similar subsections like a 7404) or heterogeneous (different subsections like a FPGA). This can be found in Altium's horrible documentation.

  • Add a new symbol.
  • Tools -> New Part will add subsections to your part. Do this as many times as necessary to create your subsections. The SCH Library panel will show you the different subsections which you can edit to your liking.

enter image description here
Screen capture from Altium showing multi-part component.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks, now once a person has created something like this, how do they add the different parts into the schematic then? Doing drag and drop just gives the first part, part A. \$\endgroup\$
    – quantum231
    May 24, 2022 at 1:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.