I've asked around and can't find answers anywhere. I'm designing a PCB that connects to US-style mains blade connectors (that plug into the wall). I've found these here, but I need right angle connectors as the board is at a right angle to the wall. I'm also open to using a connector style like this...

enter image description here

But I can't find anything like them either. Before I get responses regarding UL and safety, this product requires to be plugged into the wall directly, and I will pursuing UL.

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Have you considered using wires to connect the PCB to the blades? The stress of connecting and disconnecting will be transferred to the board if they're soldered in and could cause the solder joint or PCB itself to fail. \$\endgroup\$
    – vir
    Jul 14, 2021 at 17:11
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Actually, if that PCB connector slides onto blades on the inside of the housing, it would allow considerable flex. \$\endgroup\$
    – TimWescott
    Jul 14, 2021 at 17:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ You'd have to supply a standard cord, but you have this option: digikey.com/en/products/detail/adam-tech/IEC-A-4/… \$\endgroup\$
    – Kyle B
    Jul 14, 2021 at 19:10
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ Note that your UL listing will be made fantastically more difficult, time consuming and expensive if you use anything that's not already pre-approved by UL (such as the connector I reference above). Basically you'll have to prove that your design meets all the flammability, creepage, stress, etc.. tests UL has. And believe me, it's ALOT. They'll be looking at mechanical stuff too, i.e. you'll need your mechanical and probably material engineers to get involved. Not trivial. \$\endgroup\$
    – Kyle B
    Jul 14, 2021 at 19:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ And you don't pursue UL listing as a bolt-on or afterthought. You need to be designing for compliance from the start, and having it guide your decisions. If you try to backpedal it at the very end, you will wind up failing or having to start over. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 15, 2021 at 14:52

2 Answers 2


That is a NEMA 1-15P. The connections internal to that device are probably custom -- connectors are something that are easy enough to make that for volume manufacture you'll often see partial or full custom connectors.


Usually connectors like that are custom sheet metal (a, that are stamped and bent. You could find a sheet metal shop and ask them how they are made. (you could probably unsolder them and give them to a mechanical consulting firm and they could replicate them or give you a cost)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.