How would the basic cabling in electrical panels be technically described (in order to make a purchase, for example?) Does it have a certain number of cores?

I'm talking about the kind of cabling you see going into the top ports of this terminal block:

Terminal Block

For example, would the cable linked here be suitable to replace it?

The circuit overall is rated at 20 amps of three-phase, 230V power.

  • \$\begingroup\$ What voltages are on the wires and what currents might they be carrying? \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Commented Aug 2, 2021 at 14:58

2 Answers 2


The cable you have linked to is a 4-core double-insulated cable. That's suitable for outside the panel.

enter image description here

Figure 1. 0.75 mm2 hookup and equipment wire. Image source: RS.

Your panel is showing single-insulated panel hookup wire. This is multi-strand for flexibility. Strand packing is usually done in 1 (single-core), 7, 19 strands, etc. which gives the best packing without gaps.

Stranded cables work will all common terminals including screw clamp, cage clamp (below) and can be pin-crimped.

enter image description here

Figure 2. Wago cage-clamp terminals.

Some of the terminals require a 'just right' screwdriver to release the cage properly. (Some screw terminals require the right tool too.)

Cage clamp and wire

Figure 3. Cage clamp and wire showing excellent contact area.

For 20 A you should be considering 2.5 mm2 or 4 mm2 hookup wire.

(Photos used previously in my answer to another question.)


MTW (Machine Tool Wire) often rated for 600V. This is the more flexible type of wire used for control box wiring. It is not typically used for field wiring outside of the box, typically THHN is used for conduit pulls etc.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.