I recently bought some light accessories to add to my motorcycle in order to increase visibility and safety. I was planning to have a motorcycle shop install them, I usually am willing to DIY things myself but when it comes to anything electric I will pay a professional as I don't think it's worth the risk for me. After being quoted installation prices double what I paid for the products, I am now considering doing the installation myself.
I want to understand the risks involved, if possible death is on the table, then I won't take the chance. My understanding is that the risk is relatively low but I would like to ask this community to be sure.
According to the specifications in my owner's manual, my motorcycle's electric system is 12V and the battery is listed as a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) 12 V, 6.0 Ah (10 HR). The installation will require cutting and stripping wires to add in some light modules and also using Posi-Tap connectors to tap into other wires.
So far my understanding is I will want to turn off the motorcycle then disconnect the negative lead to the battery and THEN the positive lead and then later connect them in the reverse order.
- Is this all I need to do to remove my risk of electrical shock (removal of leads)?
- What other risks exist?
- I am also gathering that 12V isn't enough voltage to push the amps through the body, is my understanding true?
- My understanding is capacitors can still hold a charge after an electrical source has been cut, do capacitors exist on vehicles such as motorcycles?
Please let me know if any other details are required and thank you in advance for any help and advice!