I have this circuit that you consisted of an RC filter for a two-wire endstop, the circuit works fine but apparently they no longer manufacture single-layer 100nF capacitors, they are only found in multilayer, can I replace it?

enter image description here

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ If the voltage is rating the same. Aren't there still through-hole single layer ceramics? \$\endgroup\$
    – DKNguyen
    Aug 30, 2021 at 14:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ i think yes .. .. \$\endgroup\$ Aug 30, 2021 at 14:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes. It should be fine. That 100nF is there to take out some of the higher freq noise that the electrolytic cannot. The one concern I have is the variation of the MLCC capacitance with voltage, if you're feeding an analog signal. You should try it. BTW, similar question was asked here: electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/156394/… \$\endgroup\$ Aug 30, 2021 at 20:45

1 Answer 1


Your schematic utilizes the capacitors as a filtering element at low frequencies. The choice of MLCC vs single-layer should make absolutely no difference as long as long as the MLCC version has the same voltage rating. MLCC capacitors can provide a slightly smaller footprint (more compact) with perhaps a slightly taller height. Unless you are operating circuits at high frequency and care about the tiny differences between MLCC and single layer caps, you can feel confident that both types are essentially interchangeable.

Here is an article discussing the differences. https://www.mwrf.com/technologies/components/article/21848633/opting-for-singlelayer-or-multilayer-capacitors


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.