This is a typical example of negative feedback in an Op-Amp - enter image description here

For this case, the feedback of the output can be controlled using a resistor divider, and let's call the feedback fraction to be X. We can thus find the closed gain to be -

$$G_{CL} = \frac{G_{OL}}{1 + XG_{OL}}$$ using the open loop gain for the op-amp. As the open loop gain is very high, the equation reduces to 1/X. So, we can get a sizeable gain in this case using a proper resistor divider, but this retains the phase of the input waveform in V_in.

Now here is where I'm facing a problem. If I need to reverse the phase by 180 degrees for the output, maintaining the same magnitude of gain, how should I change the connections in the existing circuit without adding any other component? Using the equation -

$$V_{out} = G_{OL}(V_{non-inv}-V_{inv})$$, I see that I need to ground the non-inverting input and V_inverting should have a voltage of (XV_out + V_in), so that the gain remains same with a change in sign. But I have not been able to implement this, and this configuration distorts my input, though my output voltage is the same as it was with the phase retention gain -

enter image description here

Can someone help me out in this? It would be of great help.

NOTE: It is possible to shift the phase by 180 degrees using a three pole RC filter. I wish to know if there is an alternative to this without adding any new component.

Edit: Here is the actual V_in, and this doesn't get distorted for the Phase retention gain - enter image description here

Here is the output that I get in both cases, the phase reversed or phase retained gains -

enter image description here

Here is the distorted V_in for the phase reversed gain in my case - enter image description here

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ You need to search for "noninverting amplifier". There is documentation everywhere on this. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 15:29
  • \$\begingroup\$ I have been searching everywhere and reading up articles. I came to know that I can actually use a cascaded RC filter to shift the phase by 180 degrees, but isn't it possible without using the filter? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 15:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ What do you expect the output to look like? Show us a sketch of your input sinusoid and your desired output sinusoid. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 15:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ElliotAlderson I've added the simulations. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 15:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ Why are people still using 741? I used them in 1971, 50 years ago. There are so many better op-amps out there today. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 17:26

2 Answers 2


Let's first remember the inverting amplifier:

op-amp inverting amplifier

(Image source: Electronics Post - Application of Op-Amp as Inverting Amplifier)

What you are trying to do is to build this inverting amplifier with zero-Ohm resistors: Rf=Ri=0R.

Think about what to expect at the output considering the gain formula, Av=-Rf/Ri.

What you need to do is to use equal and non-zero resistances for both resistors, taking the bias currents and source's drive capability into account.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Ok, I'm trying this out. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 15:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks a lot! That worked! I would have to look into the inverting amplifier some more. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 15:59

You can't without additional resistors because you short-circuit input with output.

Inverting buffer with op-amps

If you need to switch between inverting and non inverting try this:


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab

  • \$\begingroup\$ I would actually connect a resistor divider in between, I didn't show this in the picture. But then, how do the resistors play a role in inverting the output? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 15:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ They act as a voltage divider and separate in and out. Op Amp wants to equalise voltage between +in and -in. \$\endgroup\$
    – Jomonger
    Commented Oct 6, 2021 at 15:58
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Only add a switch between the + input and ground ... And you have the two schematic. :-) And if it is an electronic switch, you have a digital "modulator". \$\endgroup\$
    – Antonio51
    Commented Dec 21, 2021 at 20:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.