I am having trouble identifying this component. I think its a diode. But I am not sure since I hardly know much about electronic components.

The Component says "22-16 U2" and then has a symbol on it.

I know 22-16 is actually a wire gauge or size. But I am not sure if that is what it is referring to.

Any help would be appreciated.

When I tested it with the diode setting on my multimeter it showed a voltage drop on both directions. So Me thinking its a diode ... thinks its gone bad... but is it really a diode, and what do the markings mean?

I have a photo of it. But I guess since I am new to this forum I do not have enough reputation points... Bummer But I can email the photo to anyone willing to help.

  • 6
    \$\begingroup\$ You can host your picture on imgur.com or similar and point to it from your question. Or at least, give the package type — leaded or SMT, dimensions, etc. — and the voltage drops you found with the diode tester. \$\endgroup\$ – Warren Young Feb 26 '13 at 7:07
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Standard item naming convention would indicate an IC when using U(n). A Diode would be D(n) while a Capacitor would be C(n). A picture would really help. \$\endgroup\$ – Passerby Feb 26 '13 at 13:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ You are very welcome to email me the photo and I'll add it to your question - apptechnz at gmail dot com. Or post on Imgur or similar site as Warren says. \$\endgroup\$ – Russell McMahon Feb 26 '13 at 17:16

Maybe an SS16. 60V, 1A Schottky diode.

Datasheet here

Does the package look something like this ?

enter image description here


Sounds like a tantalum capacitor to me: 22uF, 16 V. The package looks a bit like the diode in Russell McMahon's answer, but is often beige instead of black.

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.