For our feed system we have a process computer and feeding boxes in the stable. They are connected with a two-wire cable. Somebody else in this forum found out that it is differential Manchester encoding.

See these links: Hardware/software needed to decode Differential Manchester? and Data Slicer for Differential Manchester

I have exactly the same system as in this thread. What I want is: send the signal over Ethernet to another location, pick up the signal there, and place a feed box. The signal needs to communicate 2 ways.

Is this possible and how? Can I do it with Arduinos with Ethernet shields? Or is it more complicated?

I have two devices that can send CANBUS over Ethernet. But then I found it isn't CANBUS and found the thread in the link.

  • \$\begingroup\$ What is a "stabe"? What is a "somebode"? Please proofread your post and edit it to make it clear what you're asking. \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Nov 21, 2021 at 17:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ThePhoton Stable, as in horses, or rather, horses, as in stables. (sorry, could not resist) \$\endgroup\$ Nov 21, 2021 at 17:58
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Just to clarify here: you are not asking whether you can use Cat-5 cabling (i.e. "Ethernet cable") instead of your existing two-wire cable. You're asking if you can have a box in the barn that's two-wire in and Ethernet out, and a box somewhere else that's Ethernet in and two-wire out -- yes? So, sort of an Ethernet-enabled cable extender? If so, please edit your question with this clarification. \$\endgroup\$
    – TimWescott
    Nov 21, 2021 at 21:18
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I forgot.. Is the Ethernet PHY not doing Manchester encoding already? The very begining of Ethernet MAC + PHY took 2 cards of STD boards, and had that Manchester encoding somewhere, I thought. \$\endgroup\$
    – jay
    Nov 21, 2021 at 21:39
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @jay - The ethernet PHY is working at 10, 100, 1000Mbps and not easily usable at other frequencies. \$\endgroup\$ Nov 22, 2021 at 2:22


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.