In the process of repairing some consumer electronics, I encountered some SMDs labelled BD on the silkscreen:

blown out smd

As this one has clearly blown, I'm interested in knowing what it could be.

Here is another component on the board, having the same label, that seems to be in better shape:

SMD in good shape

Note for people that might land here for a more general case: BD is a common abbreviation for "board".

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Could it maybe stand for "Bead", i.e. Ferrite Bead? They are commonly named FB, but who knows. \$\endgroup\$
    – Klas-Kenny
    Nov 30 '21 at 7:33
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ We use FB for them (ferrite beads), BD seems unusual. \$\endgroup\$
    – JYelton
    Nov 30 '21 at 7:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ I found Waldo! Now where's that darn scroll... \$\endgroup\$
    – TypeIA
    Nov 30 '21 at 8:22
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ As for what BD stands for... Bad Designator? :) It's clearly a ferrite bead, I've seen FE or FB for those. \$\endgroup\$
    – Lundin
    Nov 30 '21 at 12:54
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I'm pretty sure BD standard for "whatever Buddy, i Do what i want" \$\endgroup\$
    – crasic
    Nov 30 '21 at 17:32

They are ferrite BeaDs.

The one that died probably did so because of a failure (short) elsewhere.


It's a ferrite bead by the look of it. Sometimes the reference used is FB and, I guess you can make it what you want if you are the designer.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.