I have an oscilloscope/spectrum analyzer that has a maximum sampling frequency of 20MHz and I would like to analyze the spectrum of a higher frequency band (also 20MHz wide) for example 90-110MHZ to see on which frequencies are signal peaks.

Is there a way (some analog circuit) that can convert that higher frequency signal into a lower frequency one and keep some proportion / ratio so I could determine the original frequency. Basically I would like to move tge signal down the spectrum.

  • \$\begingroup\$ You should Google "mixer circuits". \$\endgroup\$
    – Barry
    Dec 5, 2021 at 13:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ You'll find lots of "frequency converter" circuits from radio ham sources to translate one band to another. There's a mixer at the heart of it, but there's more to itthan that. \$\endgroup\$
    – user16324
    Dec 5, 2021 at 15:14

3 Answers 3


Yes, and you already have that circuit. It's called a ADC, and by the mathematical nature of aliasing, you get all frequency components at multiples of your sampling frequency \$f_s\$ aliased into your discrete signal.

That's why every ADC needs an anti-aliasing filter: so that only frequencies in \$[-f_s/2;+f_s/2[\$ even reach the ADC. If you instead just filtered to some other \$f_s\$ (or less) large bandwidth, you still would get undamaged signal from there. This trick is bandpass subsampling, and it's pretty common, especially in IF receivers (superheterodynes).


If you own osciloscope/spectrum analyzer that has max sampling frequency of 20MHz and I would like to analyze spectrum of higher frequency band(also 20Mhz wide) for example 90-110MHZ.

If the oscilloscope or analyser is well designed then it will no-doubt have anti-alias filters built in that restricts the maximum analogue spectrum to somewhat less than 10 MHz.

This means you can't rely on directly under-sampling in that device.

Is there a way(some analog circuit) that can convert that higher F signal into lower F one, and keep some proportion / ratio ? So I could determine original F? Basically I would like to "move signal down" the spectrum.

Given that it is unlikely that the device can under-sample effectively, you should try and use "radio methods" such as mixing and filtering to lower the 90 MHz to 110 MHz band down to near base-band. Note that you are going to be limited to something a little less than 10 MHz base-band-width so, I would recommend a tight filter after the mixer that takes the relevant portion of the down converted signal into base-band. Then use the local oscillator (associated with down-converting) connected to a frequency counter so you know what part of the upper spectrum you are dealing with when you view the signals on your device.

Another term to look for is super-heterodyning (as per fairly standard radio receivers). You also might be able to use a standard FM radio receiver with some modifications: -

enter image description here

The original block diagram is from the superhet link above. I've marked it in red. This will likely get you a band from 88 MHz to 108 MHz (the standard FM broadcast band) with a detector output bandwidth of between 100 kHz and 200 kHz (something you'll need to measure). Good luck.


Spec; Design a BW=20MHz scope into a SA using a sweep 90-110MHZ.

This is done using a VCO & Mixer such that VCO starts above fmax and sweeps up by the VCOmax=fmax+BW required.

The mixer creates both +/- sidebands so the choice of f requires blocking the upper sideband and passing the lower sideband.

Thus VCO sweep should use the Hsync from the scope or V_Hsweep sawtooth to be used to control the frequency.

VCO = 110 to 120 Mz with MHz/V gain and offset TBD to match your sawtooth horizontal sweep signal.

For the FM radio, it is similar except the BW is fixed and smaller rising a 11 MHz centre and ~ 100 kHz BW. So a 100MHz RF uses an 111 MHz VCO.

Baseband noise level will depend on the IF filter BW and noise figure.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.