I've been searching online with no luck.

I'm using KiCad and I want to outline my traces with graphics similar to the image shown below. Is there a function within KiCad that does this or is this a function from another program?

I’ve updated the picture to point to the darker areas surrounding the traces, and I’m trying to replicate this in KiCad.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Do you mean the designators at the bottom of the shown pcb? \$\endgroup\$
    – Daniel K
    Feb 1, 2022 at 8:28
  • \$\begingroup\$ Have you tried googling KiCad silkscreen ? Or do you mean the flooded areas on the PCB? \$\endgroup\$
    – ocrdu
    Feb 1, 2022 at 8:30
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It's not clear what you mean with "graphics" and outline traces. Do you mean solder mask? Silk screen? Something else? \$\endgroup\$
    – Lundin
    Feb 1, 2022 at 8:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ Look up "ground pour". \$\endgroup\$
    – gbarry
    Feb 1, 2022 at 8:41
  • \$\begingroup\$ Do you want to replicate/copy an existing PCB? \$\endgroup\$
    – Syed
    Feb 1, 2022 at 9:53

1 Answer 1


The "darker areas" are where the copper is etched away between the trace and the Ground plane.

This is a side-effect of well, manufacturing a PCB. So, just add a ground plane and you'll get this exact effect.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.