I am working on a project building a mobile robot. I realized that the robot will have a buildup static when it is running because I can feel it when I touch it (uncomfortable spark). The robot is running on the carpet which is a kind of isolation material, so I do not think an Antistatic wheel or Grounding Strap/Chain might work on this (correct me if I am wrong)
Some critical information (Please ask me if I need to give more info)
- The robot electronics running on different voltage with isolated DC-DC converter running on battery. All system running on DC Voltage
- The low power electronics are isolated from high power and noisy electronics (motors and battery)
- All signals running communicating between high and low power is going through signal isolator, so it is properly isolated
- Some of the signal cables are shielded cables for EMI protection from high current cable, but I do not know how to ground them properly
- Currently no ground is connected together even the devices' chassis gnd on the high power or low power system
My questions are:
- How to prevent the static buildup to shock people operating it? Is there any way to ground it?
- I am not sure how to ground my shielded cable, because if I ground everything (low and high power) to the robot chassis, I am afraid I will make the low power electronics noisy which will impact the signal noise
- What else in the electronics system that I need to ground? There are 3 grounds in my system right now, the low power ground, the high power ground, and chassis ground.
- How to protect my electronics (PCBs, Converter, etc) from Buildup Static which is probably located on the chassis itself? Currently I can only think to mount all electronics on plastic board with plastic standoff
If you need more information, please let me know, forgive me if the question is not clear enough as I am still not sure about ESD and how to test it