Trying to determine the style of wire-terminator used here so I can buy a few. What is this called? It's on the wires for a three-wire fan used in a desktop's power supply.

enter image description here

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ looks like someone pulled the contacts out of the connector shell ... is the connector shell glued to the motherboard? \$\endgroup\$
    – jsotola
    Commented Apr 18, 2022 at 19:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ I pulled them out of the connector shell. The connector was just going to the three-pin terminal for the fan. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 18, 2022 at 19:48
  • \$\begingroup\$ The connector shell may help to identify the contacts you show - similar-looking contacts may not be compatible between manufacturers, or even between different connector families within one manufacturer. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 18, 2022 at 21:07
  • \$\begingroup\$ @GrantCurell they are contacts specifically designed for that type of connector shell. They go with the shell \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 21, 2022 at 19:14

2 Answers 2


Molex KK 254 Crimp Terminals :)

Molex Link

Digi-Key Link #1

Digi-Key Link #2

  • \$\begingroup\$ Out of curiosity - how did you know this? Was this previous experience or did you just know how to look for it? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 18, 2022 at 19:56
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Previous experience :) Have put some fan headers on PCBs before so was easy to look up the part number and the mating connector + contacts. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 18, 2022 at 19:57

PC fans use the Molex ‘KK’ type.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The universal Molex crimper for these (63811-1000) is $63 which is shockingly reasonable for Molex. You can also get pre-terminated 30cm jumpers with a crimped terminal on each end for about $1 and splice them onto the wires you need. \$\endgroup\$
    – vir
    Commented Apr 18, 2022 at 19:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.