This might not be the best place to post this, so if I'm in the wrong, please let me know.

I have a water container that I want to put a temperature probe into, but I can't drill a hole from the top because of other hardware. I need it coming from the side.

Is there any way of making the cable come in and out of the container without making it leak?

I'm trying to avoid hot glue to seal the hole. Bonus point if the solution allows to remove the cable for maintenance.

  • \$\begingroup\$ If your wall surface is curved, your choices are limited on connectors. Bulkhead connectors need two O-rings. \$\endgroup\$ May 14 at 21:07
  • \$\begingroup\$ Another task is sealing of sensor to cable joint. May be it is better to use threaded temperature probe? They come with plenty various lengths, sizes and types. \$\endgroup\$
    – Vladimir
    May 14 at 21:29
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ A waterproof fitting to pass a cable through a wall is often called a 'Cable Gland" \$\endgroup\$ May 14 at 21:31

2 Answers 2


If the surface of the container is flat or has a fairly large radius you could use a cable gland; these can be waterproof to a significant pressure. https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-glands/2647336


Yes, used bulhead connectors for this.

Various designs available.

Or used pipe joints - or pipe butt connectors - can be had with one side extended.

Bigger stores carry them. Won’t say where I would go as you likely have different stores…


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.