I am trying to find a suitable replacement for this connector for a vintage radio, but I'm not sure how to search for it or if they even sell them anymore.

Simply "3 pin male connector" isn't helping very much, and the part has no markings.

I've seen this before on an old stereo amplifier I had as well, with one vertical pin and two horizontal.

Is there a name for this particular pin layout or type of connector?

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ what is the connector's purpose? \$\endgroup\$
    – jsotola
    Commented Jun 13, 2022 at 2:33

3 Answers 3


Jones plug, 303 format, as made by Cinch (which acquired Jones in the 1940s): https://belfuse.com/resources/datasheets/cinchconnectivitysolutions/industrialcinch/ds-ccs-ind-jones-plugs-300-series.pdf

Jones plugs are designed for use as a normal power plug: cheap, medium current, frequent insertion/removal.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Excellent! I figured there was an identification number for the pinout in a datasheet somewhere. Thank you. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jun 13, 2022 at 5:29
  • \$\begingroup\$ They're not always used for power; I believe these were used for telephones in some parts of the world, and I've seen them used for speaker connections on old audio equipment. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Commented Jun 13, 2022 at 13:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ Can the example shown in the picture really be used for power, unless at very low voltage?-- See its two flanges, and their direct metal connection to the two outer pins! \$\endgroup\$
    – terry-s
    Commented Jun 14, 2022 at 13:24
  • \$\begingroup\$ @terry-s That seems manually soldered to the housing. \$\endgroup\$
    – towe
    Commented Jun 14, 2022 at 14:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ @terry-s and this one is screwed in, not 'frequently' removed. But the Jones system was designed to handle 10A at 250V -- and probably was higher voltage before radio standards regulation specified the 250V limit \$\endgroup\$
    – david
    Commented Jun 14, 2022 at 22:22

That is a Cinch-Jones 300-Series connector, universally called a "Jones Plug". Beau makes something similar. Here is the Mouser version of the catalog:



Looks like a Jones plug to me. Mouser, and no doubt other major distributors, carry them. (Also called "Cinch-Jones")


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.