I am beginner learning electronics and I started to learn AC.

I've learnt that a US wall outlet provides 120V, however, I've googled that electric dryers are usually rated at 240V.

So how would a US wall outlet that is rated at 120V, accommodate to an electric dryer that is rated at 240V?

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ It doesn't. The US has 240V outlets too - they're just less common and only used for specific appliances in specific location (like electric dryers). \$\endgroup\$
    – brhans
    Jul 19, 2022 at 12:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ they use different outlets that are connected to 240V \$\endgroup\$ Jul 19, 2022 at 13:02
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ People without that kind of knowledge should not install electrical devices. Invite professionals. \$\endgroup\$
    – user263983
    Jul 19, 2022 at 15:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ Fully electric dryers (those which use electricity to dry the clothes) are always 240. Dryers that use gas still need electricity to run the motors, but they're all 120V \$\endgroup\$
    – Kyle B
    Jul 19, 2022 at 16:31
  • \$\begingroup\$ Fully electric dryers are available for 120V \$\endgroup\$ Jul 20, 2022 at 0:44

1 Answer 1


In the U.S., power comes into the residence as 120/240 V single split phase. This means that there is a neutral and two 120 V lines. Picture it as a center tapped transformer secondary, the center tap is neutral and the ends of the secondary are the 120 V hot lines.

The wall outlets are connected between neutral and one of the 120 V lines. The breaker panel is connected so that some outlets are on one of the 120 V lines, some on the other, so the total load tends to be split evenly between them.

For large appliances such as a dryers, electric stoves, and large air conditioners, the power is connected across the two 120 V lines to give 240 V. There are different types of outlets for 120 and 240, and even some different type outlets for different current ratings.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.