I found the component in the attached photo in a circuit I was tasked to analyse. I have asked several people what this component is, but I haven't gotten an answer yet.

The component is part of an H-bridge circuit board and is connected to both motor output terminals.

Could anyone tell me what this component is and what its purpose could be?


  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Vaguely looks like a polystyrene film capacitor. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Aug 24, 2022 at 10:23
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Remove it and measure it using a multimeter. Probably has no resistance and some value of capacitance; i.e. a film capacitor. \$\endgroup\$
    – rdtsc
    Commented Aug 24, 2022 at 11:57
  • \$\begingroup\$ Easier way should be check where is it connected and then measure the resistance. Possibly also a discharge resistor! \$\endgroup\$
    – IamDp
    Commented Aug 24, 2022 at 12:17
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Since it looks like a stack of disks, and is directly across the motor terminals, I'd guess it's a surge/transient/arc suppressor, See patents.google.com/patent/US6847514 for example \$\endgroup\$ Commented Aug 24, 2022 at 23:13

1 Answer 1


@rdtsc and @Unimportant are right it is a film capacitor.

I'm not very sure but it could be this or maybe not?

enter image description here

I know this is a very old question to answer but just to remove it from the "Unanswered Questions Section"


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.