I'm trying to connect to the RS485 of my stove/furnace and it has a strange connector for this. I want to intercept the existing physical connection, so I need both plug and receptable.

Plug (each pin ~4x4 mm, total ~8x8 mm):

Plug of the Connection

Receptacle (Outside dimensions: 9.5x9.5 mm):

Receptacle of the Connection

It actually looks like a Molex Minifit connector, but it is not really. The size fits exactly, but the 2x2 Molex Minifit Connection has two rectangular holes and two trapezoid holes. This connection I have here only has one trapezoid hole.

I actually bought 2x2 Molex Minifit connectors and they don't fit. I also checked the Molex Microfit and they also don't seem to be the right thing.

How is this connector called and where can I buy a plug and a receptacle? Or, even better, where can I buy an extension cord (1:1 mapped) so I don't have to crimp my own cable?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ There are many equivalents; you may find something of use from major manufacturers (TE, Samtec, etc.); it may also be a custom-keyed Mini-Fit (or equivalent), which will be much harder to find. \$\endgroup\$ Aug 24, 2022 at 14:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ Molex Mega-fit? \$\endgroup\$
    – winny
    Aug 24, 2022 at 19:15
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Look at the plug REALLY REALLY REALLY close .. If you're lucky, and you get the right light angle, you may see a part number or a manufacturers name at least. \$\endgroup\$
    – Kyle B
    Aug 24, 2022 at 20:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ also mini-fit has square pins and this has round pins. \$\endgroup\$ Aug 25, 2022 at 11:45

1 Answer 1


That looks like a TE Mini-Universal MATE-N-LOK. The good news is that inline receptacles exist, so you can make an extension cable the "right" way. The bad news is that it doesn't look like pin-to-socket jumpers exist and the crimper is $850.

Edit: there are also tap splices that will give you a clean pickoff if you can access the individual wires going into the plug.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I just wanted to say that I checked and this answer is indeed correct. \$\endgroup\$ Aug 24, 2022 at 20:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.