I have a problem with identifying an SMD component that I'm sure is burned and has to be replaced.

It should be a transistor used to switch the 24 V coil of a J01A-24-F relay.

Input at the supposed base pin (it could also be a MOSFET, so the gate) is 0/5 V coming from a PIC18F452. The coil is inserted on the collector side. The emitter is at ground. I noticed that there are no resistors to polarize the transistor, so I suppose the resistors, if any, are internal to the component.

The board controls a gas boiler. The relay opens/closes a water pump on the 230 V side.

Over the component I read "XF" horizontally and "5N" vertically. I thought it could be a transistor like the RN1101F but I'm not sure. Could you please suggest the correct code or an equivalent, (preferably not an SMD to facilitate soldering and purchase)?

I attached a photo.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ TR = transistor? \$\endgroup\$
    – JRE
    Sep 15, 2022 at 13:03
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes, I edit the post. \$\endgroup\$
    – daigs
    Sep 15, 2022 at 15:21

1 Answer 1


RN1106 is a plausible choice. If you can remove a similar one and measure the E-B resistance you'll have a much better idea if it's an exact replacement (should be ~52kΩ in one direction and perhaps lower in the other).

If you want to go with non-SMT you could hack in a 2N4401 with a couple resistors (such as series 4.7k and 47k E-B), but make sure you don't compromise safety in any way.


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.