I'm having trouble finding a theoretical explanation about the transconductance photodiode behavior, the materials I find on the internet they talk about the connections, but not the behavior, in case someone could insert material or write here with the source please.

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Can you link to the device you call the "transconductance photodiode". I've never heard of one so I'm keen to understand what one is. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Oct 10, 2022 at 14:58
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ are you possibly talking about either: photoconductive mode of operation, or transimpedance amplifiers? (I suppose calling them transconductance amplifiers wouldn't be wrong, just unusual) \$\endgroup\$
    – user253751
    Oct 10, 2022 at 15:01

1 Answer 1


The expression does not make sense.

Transconductance is defined as:


The image shows the transfer characteristics for a photodiode (By Kennlinie_Photodiode_1.png: Gregor Hess (Ghe42)derivative work: Material scientist (talk) - Kennlinie_Photodiode_1.png, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15579778)

A transfer characteristic can be defined as:


as shown in the diagram.

The photodiode mode is also called the photoconductive mode.

You should question your source for the phrase!

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.