I'm currently trying to build an inverting op-amp with single 12 V supply for audio applications.

The circuit below is the one that worked super well with 12-0-12 (had low noise and low distortion), and now I want to convert it to a single-supply amp with inverting input.

I'm very new to op-amps and couldn't figure out a satisfactory solution on how to do so.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ It all depends on how much power you want on the output. ±12V = 24Vpp. Whereas 0-5V = 5Vpp (peak to peak). That won't be very loud. \$\endgroup\$
    – Aaron
    Nov 8, 2022 at 17:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ Why don't you use a negative supply generator circuit. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Nov 8, 2022 at 17:19
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Perhaps you could consider the LM386 audio amplifier. It works with a single supply, and requires very few parts. \$\endgroup\$
    – ee_student
    Nov 8, 2022 at 17:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Aaron 12Vpp in my case is enough \$\endgroup\$
    – Marvin W
    Nov 8, 2022 at 18:39
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Andyaka well I'm trying to build a very compact amplifier and a center tapped transformer with rectifier etc would kinda defy the purpose of my design \$\endgroup\$
    – Marvin W
    Nov 8, 2022 at 18:40

1 Answer 1


Take a look at this example


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab

So all you need to do is add a voltage divider (R2, R3) and C1, C2 capacitors to your project.

Or the inverting version


simulate this circuit

  • \$\begingroup\$ The op wants an inverting amplifier. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Nov 8, 2022 at 18:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Andyaka Oops, I didn't notice this. \$\endgroup\$
    – G36
    Nov 8, 2022 at 18:34
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank you, so I just connect the non-inverting input to the divider and the input to the feedback loop? What would happen with R3, R5 and C5 from my schematic? \$\endgroup\$
    – Marvin W
    Nov 8, 2022 at 18:43
  • \$\begingroup\$ @MarvinW Yes, exactly you need a voltage divider at non-inverting input plus some large bypass capacitor. And the input via coupling capacitor (C3) to R7 (in your schematic). R5 and C5 are not needed in inverting configuration. And use R3 as a pull-down resistor for the C3 capacitor. \$\endgroup\$
    – G36
    Nov 8, 2022 at 19:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ Okay will try that, thank you very much for your help \$\endgroup\$
    – Marvin W
    Nov 8, 2022 at 19:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.