Does anybody know what this device is or what it is used for?



  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It looks like an RF power splitter to me (guesswork). \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Commented Nov 20, 2022 at 18:54

1 Answer 1


It's a 4-way Wilkinson power divider/combiner. It can be operated in both directions.

Have a look at a similar 8-way example and more design details on microwaves101

enter image description here

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Perfect answer! I'd add that that milled housing suggests it came from some military or at least commercial-grade equipment. It also looks like some hand-tuning was done to perfect the impedance matching, as evidenced by those extra tabs soldered on just beyond the series-kludged resistors, so I'd say it was an experimental prototype. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Nov 20, 2022 at 19:40
  • \$\begingroup\$ The mulitple sections means it's a wideband Wilky, as opposed to a fairly narrowband single section version \$\endgroup\$
    – Neil_UK
    Commented Nov 21, 2022 at 15:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.