I wanted to create a PCB for controlling the dashboards of an old car. I have the schematics and everything ready, but what I wanted to know is how I would supply power to the PCB. My idea is the PCB will be supplied power through the battery (+12V) in the car. To power the PCB, I need a 12V and ground as connectors, but I do not know what type of connectors to use since there are so many out there. Any help would be much appreciated.

New contributor
nehzli is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • \$\begingroup\$ This is far too vague. Use some common automotive connectors, mayhaps? If you want help with picking a connector you need to be way more specific. Currents, mechanical space, IP class and so on. \$\endgroup\$
    – Lundin
    Nov 24 at 10:52
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Has your PCB protection against the sorts of horrors you can expect in a car environment? Engine critical functions should work down to 5 V, anything else down to 8 V. It should survive indefinite reverse 12 V, or forward 24 V, and brief excursions to 160 V without damage. \$\endgroup\$
    – Neil_UK
    Nov 24 at 10:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ You get to choose the type of connector! Have you thought about how the PCB is going to connect to the car? where are you going to connect it to power? Cigarette lighter socket is an obvious choice, but ugly for a permanent installation. \$\endgroup\$
    – user253751
    Nov 24 at 16:58


Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.