I am making a very compact embedded clamshell device. it has two boards, connected by one hinge.

I only have a 12.5 mm gap where I can put a connector, and I can't really trim the number of lines down any further. what kind of connector would fit this description?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Do you mean that the cable has to fit through a 12.5 mm gap? Have you seen flat flex cable? There is no connector on the cable itself that would otherwise need a bigger gap to fit through. \$\endgroup\$ Jan 18 at 18:42
  • \$\begingroup\$ I assume that 12.5mm is board to board clearance, do you have any surface area constraints? \$\endgroup\$
    – Bryan
    Jan 18 at 19:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ i mean the only spot i can put a connector is 12.5 mm from edge to edge. \$\endgroup\$
    – R Baker
    Jan 18 at 20:42
  • \$\begingroup\$ "from edge to edge". From what edge to what edge? Please make a sketch and show us what you mean. A picture is worth 1000 words. \$\endgroup\$ Jan 18 at 23:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ Does the connector need to turn with the hinge? If not, what turns with the hinge? Cable? Wires? \$\endgroup\$ Jan 18 at 23:50

1 Answer 1


FPC cable connectors are normally less than 10mm height. If your circuit connection requires a little bigger current, you can use 24pin like FPC cable with enough pin counts and use multiple wires to deliver high currents.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.