I need to inject a few Watts of microwave radiation transversely into a pipe. Since I have no microwave expertise I would like some general advice.

My naïve expectation is to somehow couple the radiation into a waveguide of some kind and plumb it into one side of the pipe. A much less ideal solution would be to have a WiFi style antenna inside the pipe.

Power levels would be in the 10W range, or possible higher. I would also like to tune the wavelength to match the pipe diameter to form a resonant cavity, but that's fairly straightforward electronics.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I've done the "WiFi in a pipe" thing - fun project :P. The pipe was actually a steel-braided air hose and it was mostly under water. It was very lossy ... \$\endgroup\$
    – brhans
    Feb 6 at 15:36

1 Answer 1


The basic information appears to be shown in this diagram: enter image description here

Signals are typically introduced to and extracted from waveguides by means of small antenna-like coupling devices inserted into the waveguide. Sometimes these coupling elements take the form of a dipole, which is nothing more than two open-ended stub wires of appropriate length. Other times, the coupler is a single stub (a half-dipole, similar in principle to a “whip” antenna, 1/4λ in physical length), or a short loop of wire terminated on the inside surface of the waveguide


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.