I have an appliance designed for 110/120v. It says it runs peak at 1200 watts, but I can't find yet any mention of Amps. I'll be using it in Europe at 220/240v, if it is possible.

I understand I can get a converter, but from what I've read it isn't just as simple as getting a 220/240 => 110/120 volt transformer. Or is it?

How do you calculate this?

  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm sorry, but consumer electronics are off topic here per the faq. \$\endgroup\$ – user17592 Apr 12 '13 at 18:10
  • \$\begingroup\$ Fair enough, but this is more a question about converting volts. \$\endgroup\$ – Bob Apr 12 '13 at 18:22
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ After your edit, it isn't anymore indeed. We'd like to see some reference on "what I've read" though. Could you add a source? \$\endgroup\$ – user17592 Apr 12 '13 at 18:23
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ What you need is called an autotransformer that it rated for the load that you want to use it for (watts). \$\endgroup\$ – placeholder Apr 12 '13 at 18:45

Amps * Voltage = Watts. So 10 A * 120 V = 1200 W. Alternately 5 A * 240 V = 1200 W. So you need a transformer or converter rated for 5 A on the 240 V side and 10 A on the 120 V side.

  • \$\begingroup\$ That is what I was wondering! Thank you heaps Brian. \$\endgroup\$ – Bob Apr 12 '13 at 21:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.