I want to buffer a signal with a 7404 IC, but this is an inverting IC. With feedback from the input to the output the signal becomes non-inverting again. Is this method correct and can it be used in circuits?

enter image description here

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ That's not feedback; it's a dead short circuit. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Mar 17, 2023 at 13:16
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Put two inverters in series. There is no way to "straighten" the inverter by using feedbacks whatsoever. \$\endgroup\$
    – Eugene Sh.
    Mar 17, 2023 at 13:28

1 Answer 1


All you're doing there is shorting the input to the output which at best just passes the input through unbuffered, but might also have other unwanted affects.

You can either put two 7404 inverters in series or you can use a non-inverting buffer such as the 7407, although that one is open-collector output so you would need a pullup resistor on the output. You can see a list of some TTL logic ICs here although some may be obsolete. You can also search on one of the electronics suppliers' sites for non-inverting buffers. There are different varieties such as Schmitt trigger, open collector, tri-state outputs, and a number of different logic families for different voltages and speeds. You can learn a lot by looking though some data sheets.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.