• I am looking for the correct terminology to describe probes from an obsolete multimeter so that I can use this information to find replacements myself.

  • I am not asking for specific recommendations or site links. If I happened to receive such along the way it would be a bonus BUT I'm really asking for specific technical information.

I've got an analogue multimeter that I've had for years that I happen to like - I know it's fairly old, but I can keep it in the small tool kit that I cart around. It's perfectly acceptable for low voltage, quick jobs when I don't need great accuracy and it doesn't have a battery that I'll forget to change or could leak. Basically it's a decent spare meter.

Recently the black probe lead had a fight with a soldering iron and lost. I'm now on the lookout for a replacement set of probes.

The problem is the jack plug that connects the probe lead to the meter is only 2mm in diameter. All the replacement probes I've seen on-line use a 4mm banana plug (assuming they even bother saying what size the plug is at all). I know this is standard for modern multimeters, but I'd still like to be able use my old meter.

Searching for phrases like "multimeter probes 2mm jack" bring up loads of result for probes with a 4mm jack and a 2mm probe head, which isn't what I need.

Question: Can anyone advise me what the proper names or terminology are for these old style probes so that I can search for them myself?

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Search the Interwebs using "2mm mini banana plug dmm probes". You can also find 4mm banana jack to 2mm pin tip plug adapters, which would allow you to use multimeter test leads that have 4mm banana plugs. FWIW, think twice before measuring AC line voltage with older multimeters and older test leads. Older equipment is often noncompliant with modern "CAT" safety standards (e.g., CAT II, CAT III, etc.) and is hazardous to use when measuring certain AC voltages. See also: digikey.com/en/blog/what-are-multimeter-cat-safety-ratings \$\endgroup\$ Apr 16, 2023 at 16:44
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ 4mm to 2mm adapters are available. Modern probes have sheathed pins (for safety) which may be incompatible. Possibly they can be modified but that compromises safety, of course. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 16, 2023 at 16:46
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ I'm not sure why this has been close, but my question is NOT looking "recommendations for specific products or places to purchase them". My question is trying to find the correct terminology so I can search my self. \$\endgroup\$
    – Stormcloud
    Apr 20, 2023 at 11:08
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ @Voltage Spike, I did not ask for for places to search. This partly because I know that is off topic, but also because living in Europe means that any US centric answers I got wouldn't help me. My question was to get the exact name of the thing to search for. People who design and (more importantly) implement electronic circuits will know this, but as a hobbyist I don't. As I am not the only hobbyist this IS a generally useful question. \$\endgroup\$
    – Stormcloud
    Apr 23, 2023 at 19:18
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ @VoltageSpike: "product recommendation questions" are off-topic. That means no "what ADC model should I use?". Even then, an answer can recommend "I think you need a Texas Instruments ADC model 123456". Specs for the OP to go look for often occurs during design advice and those are definitely on-topic e.g. "This approach needs a sigma-delta ADC with at least 50 MHz bandwidth and 24 bit precision, AC-coupled to your electrodes". \$\endgroup\$
    – Ben Voigt
    Apr 24, 2023 at 19:01

2 Answers 2


Apparently there are a few Ebay sources of test leads with 2mm end plugs.




I think what you are looking for is known as a pin tip plug, which has a 2 mm solid pin that mates with a spring loaded jack. Like this:


Pin plug


Pin plug


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.