I'm looking at building an inductive charger (based on the design at http://people.oregonstate.edu/~watersal/documents/uhc_awaters.pdf), and there are a few components they use that are surface-mounted as opposed to the kind you can use in a breadboard (no idea what the name is...). I need help finding equivalents I can use in a breadboard. Any suggestions?

Here are the ICs in question:

  • LT6106 (high-side current sense amplifier)
  • TPS62000-05 (low-voltage step-down converter)

Any ideas whatsoever (or for that matter any suggestions for how to use surface-mounted ICs on a breadboard) would be tremendously appreciated.

  • \$\begingroup\$ May I urge you to provide a link to a document that gets right to the point of what you are trying to do. This looks like some thesis and I got bored rapidly. Maybe just spell-out what it is you are attempting. I know you are looking for leaded components BTW - have you looked at Linear Tech's website and the one for the TPS thing? \$\endgroup\$ – Andy aka Apr 21 '13 at 18:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ Maybe also indicate what you are trying to achieve with this design because there are certainly alternatives that might do what you want that are definitely simpler to build \$\endgroup\$ – Andy aka Apr 21 '13 at 18:26
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Related thread: electronics.stackexchange.com/a/61824/7036 \$\endgroup\$ – Nick Alexeev Apr 21 '13 at 19:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ Components you can use on a breadboard are generally called "Through-Hole", since they have leads that are intended to poke through the holes in the circuit-board they will eventually be used in. The opposite (e.g. components that mount only on the surface of a board) are called, unsurprisingly, "surface-mount". The two are sometimes abbreviated TH and SMT respectively. \$\endgroup\$ – Connor Wolf Apr 22 '13 at 3:32

What you need are break-out boards. They are small boards to which you solder your surface-mount device, and they have pins on 0.1" centers so you can plug them into a breadboard. One example is Bellin Dynamic Systems 1. By the way, the opposite of surface-mount is usually called "through-hole".

  • \$\begingroup\$ I wasn't aware of this, thanks for the info. Do you know if there are any good alternatives to those ICs that are through-hole by default? \$\endgroup\$ – ramchand917 Apr 21 '13 at 20:03
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ramchand917 Sorry, I don't understand your question. Do you mean alternative methods of mounting them or alternative parts that you can use? \$\endgroup\$ – Joe Hass Apr 21 '13 at 20:50

You can use this website to compare and find similar parts with different specifications(SMD - DIP - packaging - .... etc ) .

This is an example from your question : http://www.datasheets.com/search/description/high-side-sp-current-sp-sense-sp-amplifier

You can surf the website and explore the great free service there .


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.