Whats the correct name for this button, it's 12mm high measured from the PCB with 6.5mm base. It is flexible in that it can move around in the switch base.

The button is used on an instrument panel on a motorcycle to adjust the clock. In the case of this switch it's stuck stopping me from changing the time.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I don't think you can get it anything more specific than 'push button' or 'tactile switch', but I might be wrong. Or is that what you're looking for? -- by the way, in which direction is it flexible? \$\endgroup\$
    – user17592
    Apr 24 '13 at 12:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ It looks like SW1 - according to the artwork on the PCB. It's just a button but functionally it might be a reset switch for a microprocessor, an interlock switch, part of a simple keyboard (think up-down, left-right control). \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Apr 24 '13 at 12:58
  • \$\begingroup\$ I buy such switches (but not realy flexible!) in bulk from Electronics China, I think I could specify any height I want. The general term is 'tactile switch' or 'tact switch', but that can refer to many many variants. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 24 '13 at 14:09

It's a little SPST microswitch in the common Omron B3F form factor. They have various options for button height, actuating force, colour and, as you note, type of material for the mechanical "top".

Specifically, yours looks like a B3F-1070.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks for all your input, I just wasn't sure of the correct name for this switch, which made it difficult to search for. Now that I know that's a tactile switch, my life has become so much easier. Congrats on such a great and helpful community. Keep up the good work. \$\endgroup\$
    – Ian Oakes
    Apr 26 '13 at 3:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.