I'm trying to figure out what parts are being used on a board. There are various PCB reference designators that are stumping me and I'm having trouble figuring out what the components are. In this instance, the reference designator "CE" is being used. Is this a electrolytic capacitor? Any help would be appreciated!

CE2 component

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ It looks like an electrolytic capacitor (Polarized footprint, relatively tall package). \$\endgroup\$
    – Lior Bilia
    Commented Jun 21, 2023 at 2:47
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ I vote for Capacitor-Electrolytic. If it were an inductor it would measure zero ohms across it with a meter. Diodes aren't usually marked with a + sign. \$\endgroup\$
    – td127
    Commented Jun 21, 2023 at 3:10
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Is this a French device? It might be capaciteur electrolytique, and the designations being French abbreviations might account for the "various PCB reference designators that are stumping me" as well. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jun 21, 2023 at 12:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ A larger view of the PCB will also let people suggest with more confidence. \$\endgroup\$
    – KalleMP
    Commented Jun 21, 2023 at 17:01
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Guntram Blohm: for a French electronician, this is a "Condensateur Électrolytique". \$\endgroup\$
    – fgrieu
    Commented Jun 22, 2023 at 12:05

3 Answers 3


It's a Panasonic TPE-Series Tantalum capacitor (220uF, 6.3V).

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ It says "Conductive Polymer Tantalum"; this implies that there are infact, multiple different types of Tantalum capacitors as well? \$\endgroup\$
    – quantum231
    Commented Jun 22, 2023 at 18:01

The device there is very obviously a tantalum electrolytic (the only common device that I'm aware of that usually has its positive terminal marked, and tantalums usually come in packages like that too), so I'm going to agree with td127 in the comments and say it probably stands for "Capacitor, Electrolytic".


This doesn't look like a capacitor to me, it is more of inductor or diode. Reference designators can be misleading because its manual referance designator it depends on what the designer had in his mind while doing this layout. Maybe it is a placeholder for a diode or a capacitor. Maybe it is a mistake he realized later and he instructed CM to install a diode on a capacitor foot print.

  • 10
    \$\begingroup\$ Try and save the answer section for definitive answers. "Maybe this, maybe that" doesn't make for a good answer. \$\endgroup\$
    – MCG
    Commented Jun 21, 2023 at 9:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.