I have a single phase installation in my apartment, with 127 V. The electric supplier allows to modify it to 3-phase, with 220 V between phases. It requires a request from an electrician to the supplier.

According to one of the proposals that I get, there will be a 32A 2-phase circuit breaker for the shower, and 2 other smaller for the air conditioner and for the induction cooker. All those devices with 220V. Of course there will remain the other 1-phase circuit breakers for lamps, TV, etc. The main circuit breaker will be also 32A.

I suppose that if I buy a shower of 7000W (32 A max) and feed it with phases A and B, no other electrical device can use this phases. For example, suppose that the air conditioner (8 A max) is connected to B and C. The phase B will have 40 A.

My question is if I can simply add the amps like that, even from a pure resistive circuit as an electric shower and a not pure resistive as an air conditioner.

I understand that the electrician tends to avoid any excessive current out of the apartment. But I am afraid to be limited to a shower of smaller power, otherwise I have to turn off everything to take a hot shower.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Probably better suited to home improvements stack. diy.stackexchange.com \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Commented Jul 16, 2023 at 10:33


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.