I’m trying to get a Nema8 stepper motor working with a DRV8833 controller. The stepper motor has 0.6 A specified on its label but no other data mentioned. Its the connections are A+, A-, B+ and B-.
I’m using an MSP430G2553 Microcontroller to generate a PWM waveform with 20 ms period on one pin. I’ve tried to test the motor with varying duty cycles from 5% to 20%. The stepper motor does not do anything, but when I touch the shaft of the stepper motor, it buzzes and seems to work against the force applied.
I’m using this board for the DRV8833. It has the following pins:
• The Pin Vmotor is connected to a power supply 5 V <700 mA PSU and Vmotor- to GND • PWM Input Pins: AIN1, AIN2, BIN1 and BIN2 • Output Signals: AOUT1, AOUT2, BOUT1 and BOUT2 • Other Pins: nSleep (connected to Supply Voltage High)
The problem is I’m not sure my connections are correct. How would one use the DRV8833 with a stepper motor and what would the PWM signals be?
How would the stepper motor need to be connected to the DRV8833 board?
- AOUT1 to A+, BOUT1 to B+, AOUT2 to A- BOUT2 to B-?
- AOUT1 connected to A+ and B+ and AOUT2 to A- and B-?
How would the PWM output send to the DRV?
- (only) AIN1 to PWM pin? Or
- AIN1 and BIN1 to PWM pin?
Since the behavior does not change with the above connections, I suspect that my power supply doesn’t give the needed current. Can someone advise on the connections for the DRV8833.