On this schematic, I'd like to replace one of the DIP switch with a 3-way switch that connects only the x3 or only the x6 or only the x8, as I only need to implement these positions. What kind of switch should I use? The tiniest possible as it's to add to a musical instrument.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ google SP3T switch ... Single Pole 3 Throw ... get a DP3T if you want to wire indicator LEDs \$\endgroup\$
    – jsotola
    Sep 12 at 21:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ From what I recall of the 4017, I expect that even a 3 position, centre off switch would work as you could permanently wire the x8 position closed and connect the switch contacts to the x3 and x6 position. Do you have any preference for a slide/toggle/rocker style? \$\endgroup\$
    – user85471
    Sep 12 at 22:26
  • \$\begingroup\$ see the 4017 datasheet for the appropriate reset circuit. \$\endgroup\$ Sep 13 at 1:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ that switch at the top can connect input to f_out \$\endgroup\$ Sep 13 at 1:18

1 Answer 1


A three-position wafer switch (rotary action) would be the usual choice; DIP switches are perhaps smaller, however. As I read the diagram, one should never connect multiple Q (output) nodes together, and the DIP switch does not lock out that possibility. It seems you'd want a three-position (SP3T) switch? Or, to keep things simple looking, one ten-position and one three-position (SP10T, SP3T)?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.