I've been browsing on Google for quite a bit now but couldn't find an answer.

I have a remote that triggers the shutter of a digital camera.

According to the schematics that I've found, the microswitch simply closes ground to the input of the camera's processor. Did I get this right?

Is there a way to replace SW1 and SW2 with a couple of transistors and control them with an Arduino or similar?

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ yes, google "transistor as low-side switch" and you'll see plenty of info. luckily it's easier to use a transistor to pull low than to pull high, so you have a lot of great options. I prefer n-channel FETs, but even a 2n2222 would probably work for you, they work on my Canon DSLRs. If in doubt, you can always use a reed relay. \$\endgroup\$
    – dandavis
    Sep 28, 2023 at 22:24

1 Answer 1


Yes, you could use a transistor. But it is safer to use an optocoupler. Less risk of something going wrong and damaging your camera.

The optocoupler part number is not critical, something like a 4N35.


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab

  • \$\begingroup\$ I've used this method in circuit bending and MIDIfying different toys and it works perfectly. \$\endgroup\$
    – sx107
    Sep 29, 2023 at 0:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.