Let's assume I use an OPA1632 differential amplifier and I need to connect its output to a microcontroller (in this case: stm32f407 or stm32f429i). If I'm not mistaken, I would need an ADC with differential input on the microcontroller, right? In the two microcontroller datasheets (407 and 429) I can't find anywhere a reference to a differential ADC.. so I assume these two boards don't have it? Right? Or did I misread the datasheet?

Forgive my ignorance, but could I connect the first output terminal of the OP1632 to the ADC1 pin and the second output terminal to another ADC2 pin? Then, via software, I make the difference... right? I may have said something stupid... but it's the first time I've worked with ADCs.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Could you link to spec sheets/reference manuals so it is easier to help? \$\endgroup\$
    – L Selter
    Oct 25, 2023 at 10:14

1 Answer 1


Looking at STM32F405 RM it does not look like this device has a differential mode.

When compared to a higher end model STM32H7 this clearly mentions a differential mode. You are correct you could just subtract two ADC channels in software to create a differential mode.

This question is discussed in several places easily found with a search engine of your choice:

ST Forum


  • \$\begingroup\$ Thinking about it a little, I don't think the 2 ADC ports work exactly at the same time! So maybe I could have problems with this "coarse" solution of mine and therefore produce an untrue result from the ADC. Thanks anyway for your reply \$\endgroup\$
    – KaleM
    Oct 26, 2023 at 9:56
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ If your device has 2 ADCs they can be triggered at the same time to get a better result, but unless you are interested in really high frequency signals you could just average out a few samples \$\endgroup\$
    – L Selter
    Oct 30, 2023 at 6:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.