I have a 40mm fan with a connector that has standard breadboard pin spacing. I would like to connect it to what I thought was a relatively standard fan connector that has wider spacing (and thicker pins).

In the image below, the fan is wired to the connector on top; I'd like to connect it to the connector on the bottom:

enter image description here

What is the name of the larger connector? That would make it easier to find an appropriate adapter.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Is the pitch 3.96 mm by any chance? \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Dec 4, 2023 at 4:15
  • \$\begingroup\$ Seems like it could be, sure. \$\endgroup\$
    – larsks
    Dec 4, 2023 at 4:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ Or 5/32" (~0.156") pitch, for those wondering why the designer didn't just choose 4 mm. \$\endgroup\$
    – Graham Nye
    Dec 4, 2023 at 14:01

1 Answer 1


They are both: single-wall wire-to-board connectors. But ...

Note: even if you have the matching plug, that doesn't mean that it will work. We don't know whether the PCB male header is intended for a fan, and, if it is, what its pinout and signaling is.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Thanks, that looks like a great reference! We do know that the PCB male header is intended for a fan, and we also know the pinout of the connector matches the fan. \$\endgroup\$
    – larsks
    Dec 4, 2023 at 13:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.