What is this symbol and what it does? It looks like the Op-Amp on the left, but I don't get what that half square wave is doing on it.

enter image description here

This diagram was obtained from this paper:

  title = {Neuromorphic Spiking Neural Networks and Their Memristor-CMOS Hardware Implementations},
  volume = {12},
  ISSN = {1996-1944},
  url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ma12172745},
  DOI = {10.3390/ma12172745},
  number = {17},
  journal = {Materials},
  publisher = {MDPI AG},
  author = {Camuñas-Mesa,  Luis and Linares-Barranco,  Bernabé and Serrano-Gotarredona,  Teresa},
  year = {2019},
  month = aug,
  pages = {2745}

1 Answer 1


That's a comparator.

When the input exceeds the reference voltage the output switches high and vice versa.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Understood, is there a particular name for that component? \$\endgroup\$ Dec 24, 2023 at 1:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ÍcaroLorran It's called a comparator. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Dec 24, 2023 at 1:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ÍcaroLorran "Comparator" is its name. \$\endgroup\$
    – John Doty
    Dec 24, 2023 at 1:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks, does it have any relation with the Schmitt Trigger? \$\endgroup\$ Dec 24, 2023 at 1:19
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ @ÍcaroLorran In the sense that a schmitt trigger is just a comparator with hysteresis, which is achieved by making the threshold voltage different for low-to-high and high-to-low transitions. \$\endgroup\$ Dec 24, 2023 at 1:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.