I am reverse engineering a smart LED bulb. I have almost got the all of the components, but one thing I couldn't get is the connector highlighted below.

The LED bulb has 2 PCBs: the vertical PCB has a right angle male header that mates with the horizontal PCB's female SMD connector, which is what I am looking for.

Does anyone know what this female connector is called?

As shown in this LED bulb tear-down.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Show us a side view and dimensions (external and socket center-to-center). \$\endgroup\$
    – vir
    Feb 21 at 5:48
  • \$\begingroup\$ I couldn't add picture here. So you can follow this specific link ednasia.com/teardown-bluetooth-enhanced-led-bulb it can help you to visualize. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 21 at 5:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ What error message do you get when trying to upload images? \$\endgroup\$
    – winny
    Feb 21 at 8:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ I can't add an image in the comments. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 21 at 9:44
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ It is much better to insert new information into the original question as comment threads can become lost or buried. \$\endgroup\$
    – Nedd
    Feb 21 at 14:19

2 Answers 2


These are generally known as board to board connectors, in this case more specifically as "Bottom Entry" board to board connectors. The picture below shows examples of both top entry and bottom entry types.

enter image description here

Picture from: https://www.gradconn.com/News/Connectors-Demystified-Bottom-Entry-Board-to-Board-Connectors

As a minimum pass-through holes for the pins are needed in the PCB.
For a flush mount type (as in your example) a larger cut out is required.

The next picture is of open frame versions that better illustrate the concept. enter image description here Picture from: https://www.icrex.co.jp/english/products/smt/socket.html

Some types allow both top and bottom entry and are often known as "Dual Entry" or simply "Top or Bottom Entry" connectors.

One more style that I've seen used on some low cost LED bulbs is a Poke-In type. These more or less create a locking fit onto the inserted wire or pin.

enter image description here

Picture from: https://datasheets.kyocera-avx.com/PHMicroSingleVertical_70-9296.pdf

  • \$\begingroup\$ I got the point but can you share a part number for 4 pin surface mounted female bottom entry connector. I have searched a lot on Digi-key but couldn't find one. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 26 at 13:00

Thanks to Nedd for assisting me finding the specific connector. Due to his in-depth details for a connector. I have ultimately found one.

Basically this is a Chinese website that specifically categorize LED bulbs connector

You can view them here https://www.jkuncn.com/products/led-series/led-bulb-connector


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.