I am modifying a Canon Powershot G7X camera so that I can couple the sensor to a tube lens and microscope objective. To do this conveniently I would like to extend the ribbon cable connected to the rear touch screen panel.

The connector for this looks like a so-called “zero insertion force” connector however I am not too familiar with these. Before buying an extender cable and pcb, can anyone help me identify the connector? enter image description here

Circled you can see the connector and ribbon cable. I have also taken two close-up shots. enter image description here enter image description here

To be honest I am not sure I am even counting the number of pins correctly. I thought it would be 26 because of the exposed pins near the connector, but looking at the ribbon cable there seem to be more than that, possibly with some sort of keying.

Before I buy something like an adapter below I had better know what I am looking for first. enter image description here

EDIT: Unfortunately after writing this I was adjusting the fixture I made and completely ripped the flex connector apart when fixing the display position. Only now (2 weeks later) did I get a replacement from AliExpress (not tested yet).

I was able to take a picture using a telecentric lens setup and another camera, then measure the approximate distance between two pins. I am still honestly a bit confused about the number of pins - there appear to be two rows (top and bottom), and some of these appear to be double in thickness occupying two "lanes". Measuring between two pins on the top row I get approximately 0.444mm center to center. If the top and bottom row alternate, this could mean a pitch of approximately 0.222mm.

I will keep updating as I collect more information. Part of my doing this to begin with is to learn more about cameras and measurement ;) enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here


1 Answer 1


That is a bilevel back-flip* FFC socket (my site).

(*) Funny name, ain't it?

I count 51 circuits.

You can find them here: https://www.digikey.com/short/vbq78jw5

EDIT: The pitch is 0.4 mm.

To narrow it down, you will need whether the contacts are at the top or the bottom. And, you'll need to find one that locks onto the tabs on either side of the FPC (the "cable").

Before I buy something like an adapter

Be aware that that might not work. An adapter (if you even find one, which is doubtful) adds capacitance, picks up noise, and causes reflections. The product may very well stop working.

What ZIF type connector

Know that ZIP Is not a type of connector. It is a feature that many different connectors have. For example, this ZIF DIP socket which doesn't look anything like an FFC socket. So, calling your socket a "ZIF connector" is not quite right.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Thanks this helps a lot. I can now count 51 and am getting closer to identifying the pitch (0.2 or 0.3mm). I don’t have high hopes it will work but will at least try. \$\endgroup\$
    – user391339
    Commented Apr 1 at 0:05
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ "am getting closer to identifying the pitch" Measure the total width of the cable and divide by 51. Please DO report back on what you find, so I can update my answer. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 1 at 0:09
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Unfortunately I ripped the cable shortly after this. Today I received a replacement sold on AliExpress and was able to overcome my sadness to take a picture. I measured 0.444mm between pins on the top row, and if there are indeed alternating rows (some having 2x width), the pitch would be 0.222mmm. You can take a look at the updated images in my answer. I hope to take some higher resolution photos with a higher resolution camera or microscope later. \$\endgroup\$
    – user391339
    Commented Apr 16 at 2:02
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The pitch is 0.4 mm. I updated my answer. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 16 at 4:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.