I have had some trouble identifying this piece of hardware, even with the help of the inter webs. I have disassembled the printer (Brother HL-2270W or a similar device), so getting it to run is a bit of an issue for me too, so. My questions is: what is this device? It obviously looks like it is a motor or servo or etc of some sort, but specific name would help. Then my next question would be this: can I somehow reuse it with, say, an Arduino Uno r3?

Note: I am new to this sort of thing, and so would not be surprised if something i ask is misrepresented in some way or vague. Thanks in advance for understanding.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Where in the printer was it taken from? This will help identify the part easier. \$\endgroup\$ – Dean May 29 '13 at 2:09
  • \$\begingroup\$ It was taken from a side, connected to a rather large gear(compared to the rest), and that was connected to several other gears.. Specifically what part of the printer, I am unsure.. I'll see if i can find out. \$\endgroup\$ – user24527 May 29 '13 at 2:10

It looks like a 3-Phase Brushless DC Motor. The U,V,W markings are apparently standard notation. The three little chips labeled HU,HV,HW are likely Hall Effect Sensors (or simply Hall Sensors) for position/speed feedback.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks. That helps a ton, considering I'd never know that otherwise. \$\endgroup\$ – user24527 May 29 '13 at 11:43

protected by W5VO May 29 '13 at 3:39

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.