I'm using a power management IC (PMIC) with a lower max Vin than I want to supply. Is the solution to this as simple as adding a separate, greater voltage regulator in front of it?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Yes, you have to regulate the voltage down to something that the PMIC can handle. It doesn't have to be a great regulator (can have more noise/ripple/variation than normal). And it's not a Zener diode. \$\endgroup\$
    – user3624
    Jun 27 '13 at 3:20
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Which IC are you using? What is your supply voltage? How much current? \$\endgroup\$ Jun 27 '13 at 5:33
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I'm using the TPS650532 (driving a TMS320DM368). The supply would be a 7.4V battery, with the DM368 not drawing more than 1A. I'm also trying to figure out if I can run a large current load (15A) off the same battery (for motors) without a huge, negative impact on the DM368. \$\endgroup\$
    – Crunchy
    Jun 27 '13 at 7:33
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm not sure the TPS650532 is best suited for your application. What is your input voltage range and what are your output voltages(s) and currents. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Jun 27 '13 at 10:01

Yes, it is. It can be a switching or linear regulator.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.