I am wondering where, if any, I can get information regarding interfacing/connecting with a smartphone camera module. For example, this camera module is a replacement for SGS4 and I can clearly see that it had a connector. Does anyone knows where I can find manufacturers of such modules, and hopefully how to connect and use them in a different project using a microcontroller (or similar?)

Thank you


2 Answers 2


I'm no expert on this, but I think it's industry standard, and it's called MIPI. Many of the fancy new ARM SOCs have direct support (read pins allocated) for this interface I believe. If there's anything vendor specific about it, good luck figuring it out with a datasheet - your best bet is to contact the distributor / manufacturer directly for advice in that case.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Will you happen to know how one can find who are the manufacturers of different camera modules? (ie If I am looking on specific smartphone and want to know who made that part on that phone?) \$\endgroup\$ Jul 11, 2013 at 12:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ no... maybe email the distributor or phone manufacturer, or tear a phone down \$\endgroup\$
    – vicatcu
    Jul 11, 2013 at 14:30

Try Wikipedia too https://www.electroschematics.com/9767/mobile-phone-camera-interface/

There are several standards, probably more to come.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.