I'm looking to allow two cartridges to be inserted into a slot that normally only accepts one (more specifically, Nintendo 64 cartridges). I can't just toggle the power lines to each cartridges because of backfeeding. What sort of device would I need to use to switch a large number of lines from one cartridge to another (an N-pole single throw relay)? In this case, there isn't much power passing through the lines, but in a more general sense what component would one need to actuate multiple switches in a near-simultaneous timeframe?

  • \$\begingroup\$ You could use a couple analog muxes like the 74HC4052 to do that. sparkfun.com/products/9907 \$\endgroup\$
    – Spikee
    Jul 14 '13 at 1:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ There's a similiar question here that has a few ideas electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/58428/… \$\endgroup\$
    – PeterJ
    Jul 14 '13 at 1:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ Electropneumatic pipe organs often include a number of 61-pole relays (one contact for every key on the keyboard), but from what I've seen they don't usually include solenoids directly. Instead, they usually have a small electrically-operated air valve, and then a bellows-operated 61-pole switch. Pipe organs naturally have an adequate supply of slightly-pressurized air, and an electrically operated valve needs less current than a solenoid large enough to activate a 61-pole switch. Still, I think some pipe organ makers like Wicks use direct electric relays. \$\endgroup\$
    – supercat
    Dec 22 '17 at 19:42
  • \$\begingroup\$ The Wicks parts price list doesn't list relays (either electrically or electro-pneumatically operated) but if you still need a 61-pole switch you might try contacting them. I think pipe organs generally use 24 volts, but that should be safely isolated from all the contacts. \$\endgroup\$
    – supercat
    Dec 22 '17 at 19:45

The ADG3300 is usually used as a voltage translator, but will work fine with the same voltage on both sides. Pulling the EN input low tristates the Y pins (on the inside) and pulls down the A pins (on the cartridge), virtually disconnecting the two sides from each other. A couple of power MOSFETs will allow you to control V+ and GND.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.