Is there any material/device invented to quickly connect SOIC-14 like integrated circuits to, eg, breadboard? I am aware of adapter boards, but what if I want something without soldering? (I am not speaking of very high frequencies and too complex SMDs)

For example, if I remember correctly, I saw similar technology used for small LCD displays (where some kind of resin and evenly spaced wires provided very fine connection from the board to the LCD), so I guess, this kind of technique is possible. SOIC 14, in this example, would require two such "wired pillow" connection terminals, which can be mapped to pins and/or wires.

Is there anything like this existing? Or maybe something with similar purpose, but universal enough to be useful with several cases?

enter image description here

UPDATE: There are prototype boards in existence, which make it much easier (and cheaper) to work with SMDs, eg http://www.whitewing.co.uk/protoboard.html . I wish, there were more such boards available for all kinds of SMDs.

UPDATE2: Actually, I have found anything I needed here: http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/ It seems, they have adapters for nearly everything. ZIF sockets, proposed in the answer, are also quite convenient in use.


Common practice is to use a ZIF adapter, aka programming socket adapter, test socket, etc, for the relevant IC form factor. For SOIC 16 through 24, for instance, this adapter ($13.99 on eBay) can be used:

ZIF SOIC socket

Such ZIF sockets exist for several standard SMD IC formats.

The resin-like conducting strips used in LCDs are called elastomeric connectors, and are available in various pin pitches:


These can be purchased in long strips and cut up for use on a DIP adapter, but there don't seem to be any such adapters available on the sites I know of.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks, this is exhaustive answer. I can continue with those key words. \$\endgroup\$ – Roman Susi Jul 17 '13 at 8:03

You are looking for a ZIF socket, sometimes called a programming adapter. Example of a 14 pin SOIC programming adapter.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Discontinued :-( \$\endgroup\$ – Roman Susi Jul 17 '13 at 8:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ I was providing a hint as to what to look for, not shopping advice, as we are not a shopping advice site. \$\endgroup\$ – Martin Jul 17 '13 at 8:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ Sure. Thanks. I just got an impression, that these sockets are somehow not manufactured any more. \$\endgroup\$ – Roman Susi Jul 17 '13 at 8:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.