I recently cannibalized an old thermostat for parts, and found a strange looking component with no markings at all.

Here's a picture (since I can't figure out how to describe it):

photo of part

My first guess was that this was some sort of resistor, but I can't seem to measure any resistance across it with my multimeter...

I'm very much an electronics newbie so please excuse me if the answer is obvious :)


2 Answers 2


It's a resistive hygrometer (or simply put: a humidity sensor). The resistance across the contacts varies depending on the relative humidity of the air it is suspended in.

Example from TDK

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ Can you please share the part number for this component and any manufacturer? \$\endgroup\$
    – AKR
    Jul 23, 2013 at 16:19
  • 6
    \$\begingroup\$ Thank you very much! I had no idea such a thing existed. I can confirm that this indeed works. To test it, I hooked it up to an LED and breathed on it... As I breathed, the LED lit up brighter. I'm sure I will find an excuse to use this in a project ;) \$\endgroup\$ Jul 23, 2013 at 16:50
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @dhenderson This could be used to automatically adjust the EQ to compensate for humidity's influence on guitar speakers. \$\endgroup\$
    – Kaz
    Jul 23, 2013 at 20:59
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @AnandKumarRai: I found the image by doing a Google Images search for "resistive humidity sensor" when I was trying to confirm my answer. The original page: tdk.co.jp/tfl_e/sensor_actuator/CHS \$\endgroup\$
    – Mels
    Jul 24, 2013 at 9:57
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Does it break if you get it wet? \$\endgroup\$
    – user10256
    Aug 1, 2013 at 17:41

It's a Dew sensor, I've also found one in a Camcorder, This sensor was faulty and it generates an error code because the thin polymer on it is erased.

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Removing the question that this poster was trying to ask in the answer form doesn't leave a useful answer, but simply a weaker repetition of what was said seven years ago. This should simply be deleted. \$\endgroup\$ Sep 11, 2020 at 13:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.