Kind of a random question, but what are the blue wire-clamp-things in the image below called?

Motor Controller Board

I see those everywhere, and I think they'd be awesome to have in a grab bag...


Those are terminal blocks.

More specifically those look like eurostyle terminal blocks.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Circle takes the square! \$\endgroup\$ – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 4 '13 at 0:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank you so much, I'm going to buy like 50 of those to keep around! \$\endgroup\$ – Soviero Aug 4 '13 at 0:54
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @KevinSoviero: Nah, you want the lever clamp ones instead. \$\endgroup\$ – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 4 '13 at 0:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Ignacio Why do you prefer lever clamp ones over the screw-in model? \$\endgroup\$ – us2012 Aug 4 '13 at 2:06
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ @us2012: Because you don't have to reach for the screwdriver. \$\endgroup\$ – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 4 '13 at 2:18

Those parts are a type of terminal connector - typically called a screw down or clamping terminal block. There are various types including PC-mount, 90 degree edge mount, and even surface mount. They also come with various numbers of positions (number of clamping wire terminals).

They make an excellent was of connecting larger gauge wire (such as for a motor, battery, speaker, etc) to a PCB board, but they introduce noise, so they are not well suited for sensitive lines such as data transmission.

Here are some at a site call all-electronics.com. They are relatively cheap.

2 Position PCB Terminal - Green

2 Position PCB Terminal - Blue

2 and 3 Position Interlocking Terminal - Blue

4 Position Pluggable Terminal

  • \$\begingroup\$ Just for completeness, what sort of connector would introduce less noise and be good for data transmission? \$\endgroup\$ – JYelton Aug 4 '13 at 4:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ It's hard to say without knowing the frequency and purpose of the signal. That would be best answered as an independent question. \$\endgroup\$ – Kurt E. Clothier Aug 5 '13 at 20:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.